I am about to move home
- Try to get a date that suits everyone involved – and remember that while Fridays may seem like a good idea, if anything major goes wrong, getting it sorted will be a lot more expensive over a weekend. Being flexible really will help.
- If you’ve not got much to move then consider doing it yourself – but make sure you’ve got the right packing materials (you can buy or hire these) and that you’re confident you can drive the vehicle you’ll be using.
- If you’re using professionals get 2 or 3 quotes – check to see if they’re members of the British Association of Removers and ask for references unless they’ve been personally recommended.
- Packing up always takes much longer than you think – many removal firms offer this service.
- Make a comprehensive list of those who need to know that you’re moving.
There’s more than you might think. Some examples to get you started –
- Finance: the bank, credit card, insurers etc Don’t forget the Inland Revenue.
- Medical: Doctor, dentist, optician.
- Motoring organisations: such as the RAC or AA and the DVLA.
- Utilities: Gas, electricity and water suppliers, telecoms, internet provider.
- Council Tax office – particularly if you’re moving to a new area.
- TV licence centre, Satellite or cable TV service providers.
- Your employer(s).
- Family and friends.